It took Robert Lewandowski more than two months to not find the net in a match this year, be it Bundesliga, DFB Pokal or Champions League. But remember, football involves more than just one man. The rest of FC Bayern came together to prove they’re more than just Lewandowski and co., defeating Fortuna Düsseldorf 4-0.
The match was over before halftime, as Bayern put away three goals in less than 25 minutes. The Bavarians just kept coming and coming and never let up in the first frame. Pavard put away a Kimmich cross from a free kick in the 11th minute, then Tolisso tapped in a Ganbry cross in the 27th minute, and Gnabry shoved the ball home seven minutes later after a scramble in front.
Coutinho added to the scoreboard in the 70th minute thanks to Lewandowski. So the Pole might not have put the final touch on the final goal, but he still found a way to help. And new Bayern coach Hansi Flick has his team playing stingy defense, not allowing a goal in his first three games in charge (Dortmund in the league and Olympiakos in the CL) after the fabled club had allowed 16 in 10 previous Bundesliga matches.
- FC Bayern had twice the amount of possession as Fortuna Düsseldorf
- Lewandowski had the most shot attempts by any player with six
- If Düsseldorf had won, it would have been the first time since 2012 that they would have had three consecutive home wins
FC Bayern starting 11: Neuer (C), Davies, Alaba, Martinez, Pavard, Müller, Kimmich (Goretzka, 76‘), Tolisso (Thiago, 71‘), Coutinho, Gnabry (Perisic, 63‘), Lewandowski
Unused subs: Ulreich, Cuissance, Coman, Mai
Head Coach: Hans-Dieter Flick
Fortuna Düsseldorf starting 11: Steffen, Giesselmann, Adams, Ayhan, Zimmermann, Bodzek, Morales, Kownacki (Sobottka, 79‘), Fink (C) (Suttner, 66‘), Thommy (Zimmer, 87’), Hennings
Unused subs: Kastenmeier, Hoffmann, AMpomah, Bormuth, Baker, Tekpetey
Head Coach: Friedhelm Funkel
Latest posts by Kai Dambach (see all)
- Thorsten Fink taking care of business in Kobe - February 23, 2020
- We went there: Fortuna Düsseldorf gets last-minute Christmas gift against Union Berlin - December 24, 2019
- We went there: Cologne caps off 2019 with three more points against Werder Bremen - December 23, 2019