Ten thousand fans of Borussia Dortmund converted the HDI-Arena in Hannover to a home match. They underlined what is one of the most important things in German football culture, visiting away matches. On a Saturday, half past three, it is not such a big deal to drive from Dortmund to Hannover. The distance between the two cities is about 213 kilometers (132 miles) and it was a Saturday. That means no problem for fans. But looking on the next couple of weeks with the Europa League matches on Thursdays and the Bundesliga matches on Sunday, some fans will have difficult problems. For example. Hannover 96 will face FC Augsburg next Sunday. Augsburg plays on Thursday in the Europa League against Bilbao and Hannover fans have to drive about 600 (372 miles) kilometers on a Sunday. Generally, Sunday matches are complicated and useless. Even the important German culture thing in German football loses its attraction –beer tastes better if you can sleep out the next day, no doubt.
No time to breathe
Borussia Dortmund did well on Saturday. The team of Thomas Tuchel defeated a Hannover team who knew how to fight. Many so-called experts declared the 96ers as one of the top candidates for the way down to the second Bundesliga. The performance on Saturday at least gives reason to hope to remain in the Bundesliga. The “Schwarzgelben” almost played as good as the matches before and had a little help from Hannover-defender Felipe. As a blogger and fan, you barely have time to reflect the last game. The next is already waiting.
Dobro pozhalovat’ Krasnodar (Welcome Krasnodar)
FK Krasnodar – the great question mark. What do we know about the Russian club? Honestly, not much!
- They lost two matches against VfL Wolfsburg last season (2:4 in Wolfsburg/1:5 in Krasnodar).
- The Europa League 2014/2015 was their first appearance in Europe.
- With Joaozinho, Ari, Wanderson (all Brazil), Akhmedov (Uzbekistan), Granqvist (Sweden), Kaboré (Burkina Faso) and Pereyra (Uruguay) the most expensive players are foreigners.
- The best players until now are Mamaev and Smolov (both Russians) – two offensive players who scored four of the eleven goals in the Russian Premier Liga.
- Last weekend Krasnodar won against Dinamo Moscow 4:0.
- The next best known city in Krasnodar, Krai is Sochi, host city of the 2014 Winter Olympics (297 kilometers/184 miles)
Everybody is happy to be part of that interesting competition. The Europa League could be a chance for Borussia Dortmund to win the first title after 2012. Even the “loved enemy” Karl-Heinz Rummenigge trusts Dortmund to win the title. “Dortmund will be our rival until the end. They can also win the Europa League”, he said last week. There is one point that really interferes with the thrill of the challenge “Europa League”. Borussia Dortmund will have a bunch of matches on Sundays.
Bayer, Bayern and Derby
Sunday matches should be banned. No doubt. This Sunday Bayer Leverkusen will come to Dortmund. It is assured that the match against Bayern and the Derby against Schalke will also be on a Sunday. On the one hand there is a huge disadvantage for fans who have to travel on Sunday (for example 4th October for all those Bayern fans from Munich). On the other hand the bar owners in Dortmund are facing a difficult season with a new low in beer-sale. As I said at the beginning, beer tastes better on a Saturday.
Latest posts by Dennis Liedschulte (see all)
- It’s Showtime for Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus - December 11, 2016
- Season 3 of BVB’s “The Returned”: the Mario Götze Story - September 22, 2016
- Welcome Back, Borussia Dortmund – 6:0 against Legia Warsaw - September 16, 2016