After the disappointment in the Europa League – crashing out against a team that has the same 6m Transfermarkt value of what they sold Vincenzo Grifo to Gladbach for – Freiburg were set on a path to redeem themselves in the first round of the DFB Pokal.From the get go Freiburg set out to control the game, and prevent Halberstadt from getting a chance of influencing the game. In controlling the game, Freiburg were able to be fluid in attack, especially with their quality of passing. Working their way around and through Halberstadt, it was only a matter of time before Freiburg started to register their shots.
Freiburg kept up the pressure, passing well across the pitch. Niederlechner was especially upping the pressure on the on Halberstadt. If it wasn’t for the efforts of Büchel, the Halberstadt keeper, Niederlechner would have scored. Halberstadt struggled to hold on. Niederlechner headed the ball in the box to Petersen who chested the ball down, to volley it into the net. A thoroughly deserved goal for Freiburg. Using the goal to their advantage, Freiburg continued controlling the game, this rewarded with another goal for the away side. Höfler had a shot deflected by two Halberstadt players into the net. Freiburg were in control going into the half up two nil.
After the break, Halberstadt came out looking to correct the deficit. Despite this Freiburg showed their quality and were generally able to deal with any threats against them. Strenzel and Frantz had chances in the start of the second half, Frantz’s shot just going wide. The home team started to come into the game, upping the pressure on Freiburg. When under attack, the away side remained calm. Halberstadt had a header go wide. They were becoming more attacking and threatening. Despite the home team getting close, Freiburg were still able to deal with what confronted them. In the end Halberstadt were rewarded for their added attack in the second half. They ceased on the counterattack and Michel gave them the goal they had been looking for. But in the end Freiburg came out on top.
Augenblick: Controlling the game and applying the pressure, Freiburg were waiting for that goal to come. The lovely goal from Petersen provided Freiburg with what they needed.
Man Of The Match: Nils Petersen
Key Stats: Controlling the game in the first half and seeing out the game in the second half, overall Freiburg controlled the game and applied the pressure when needed. With 67% possession, the job for Freiburg was only to score. 6 shots on target provided that. Deserved victors.
Talking Points for Freiburg:
- Niederlechner looked especially good in the first half. He proved to be dangerous in attack and applied pressure on the home team with several shots on goal. Unlucky not to get a goal himself, he came away with an assist and a solid performance.
- Petersen proves to be an important component of the Freiburg attack. Controlling the ball from Niederlechner with his chest, Petersen had an impressive strike go into Halberstadt’s net. A thoroughly deserved goal for Freiburg.
- Freiburg rectified their European disappointed. Coming away from the disappointment in the Europa League, Freiburg needed to get back to winning ways and they did that in the DFB Pokal. Dominating the game in stages, they looked to be in good shape going in the Bundesliga season. Freiburg will be looking at hitting the ground running in the Bundesliga and this result provides extra momentum for that.
Latest posts by Callum Seniuk (see all)
- Match Report: SC Freiburg vs 1. FSV Mainz 05 - November 27, 2017
- Match Report: VfL Wolfsburg vs SC Freiburg - November 19, 2017
- Bundesliga Match of the Week 11: VfL Wolfsburg vs Hertha BSC - November 7, 2017