While the Bundesliga does not return for 2017-18 until August 18, Germany’s top teams are preparing for busy summer schedules and fixtures across the globe.
The continued growth of huge fan bases in North America and Asia mean that Bundesliga clubs are keen to attract new supporters and boost revenue with glamorous friendly fixtures on foreign soil. Although not all the games involving Bundesliga sides in friendly action are on television, fans will be able to keep abreast of the action through various apps and services provided by bookmakers and live score sites.
German champions Bayern Munich will take on some of the best teams in the world in preseason. While they are comfortable betting favorites in all of their pre-season fixtures, the games will give Carlo Ancelotti’s men a thorough workout before the competitive action returns next month. You can see all the odds for Bayern’s pre-season games using the bet365 app. The Bavarian giants will again take part in the International Champions Cup, with exhibition fixtures against Arsenal, AC Milan, Chelsea and Inter over a busy eight days.
Bayern will play the first two games in Shanghai and Shenzhen, China, with the latter two taking place in Singapore. Die Roten will also host the Audi Cup on home soil, facing Liverpool and then either Napoli or Atletico Madrid in Munich. Six games against some of Europe’s top sides should have Bayern close to their ominous best come the time Borussia Dortmund lie in wait in the German Super Cup on August 5, where Dortmund are 3/1 to win the game.
Dortmund are doing some jet-setting of their own over the next month, with the Signal Iduna Park outfit also heading to Asia for pre-season fixtures. The Ruhr Valley outfit face Urawa Reds in Saitama, Japan, in the J League World Challenge before taking on AC Milan in Guangzhou, China, in the ICC. The remainder of Dortmund’s preparations will take place closer to home, with friendlies against Bochum, Espanyol, and Atalanta planned.
A number of other German teams will head to England for friendlies. For example, Red Bull Leipzig will look to build on their Champions League qualification with a positive showing at the Emirates Cup in London. Additionally, last season’s Bundesliga runners-up have encounters against Sevilla and Benfica to play at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium, while a home clash with Stoke City is also scheduled. Meanwhile, other Bundesliga clubs can seen in the following locations:
- Hoffenheim travel to face English Championship side Derby County at Pride Park and Borussia Mönchengladbach will play Premier League side Leicester City at the King Power Stadium.
- Schalke have a trip to face Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park, while Augsburg will take on Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium.
- Hannover will also take on Burnley at Turf Moor and Wolfsburg head to London for a game against Fulham at Craven Cottage.
- Eintracht Frankfurt are the only German top flight team to travel Stateside and have three fixtures in the United States. They have already faced the Seattle Sounders, drawing 1-1, with games against Bolivian side San Jose and Colombus Crew also set to happen this week.
With the Bundesliga action just over a month away, German football’s top teams are starting to ramp up their preparations ahead of 2017-18.
Latest posts by Gareth McKnight (see all)
- Bundesliga Pre-Season: A Busy Summer for Bayern and Dortmund - July 13, 2017
- Quick Takes: Do We Care Who Wins the Champions League now? - May 8, 2017