Greuther Fürth 3 St. Pauli 0. Poor performance all round from Die Freibeuter der Liga

Two goals in two minutes from Kacper Przbyłko and Zsolt Korcsmár in the first half and a wonderful free kick from Florian Trinks earned Die Kleeblätter a comfortable 3-0 victory against a very poor St. Pauli side, piling the pressure on coach Roland Vrabec to get the team going this season.

This was a meeting between two sides who are considered outsiders for promotion, either automatically or via the play-offs, and they both came into this game level on four points, with Fürth ahead only on goal difference. Both sides had a somewhat disappointing start to the new season but knew that three points for either side would propel them to just one point off the top of the league. Fürth lost their last game 2-0 away to Ingolstadt whilst St. Pauli beat SV Sandhausen 2-1 at home.

The visitors had a half chance early on with Marc Rzatkowski drove a low shot just wide. It was after this early chance that the momentum of the first half changed, as Fürth were the better team until the break. First, Nico Gießelmann took a free kick that was low and curled around the wall but didn’t have enough power and was easily saved by in-form St. Pauli goalkeeper Philipp Tschauner. Gießbelmann once again had a chance three minutes later, this time unmarked by the penalty spot from a corner, but he put his shot wide when it seemed easier to get it on target.

However, Gießelmann made up for his earlier misses just four minutes later by putting in a brilliant cross that was converted by Przbyłko with an accurate header past Tschauner, with the away defence once again leaving their opponent unmarked.  It seems that St. Pauli brings out the best in Przbyłko, as it was his third goal in his last two outings against them, having scored a brace last year with Arminia Bielefeld. Fürth doubled their lead just two minutes later with another decent cross from Gießelmann, but this time it was Korcsmár on the end of it, once again unmarked inside the box, taking Fürth 2-0 up inside just 23 minutes. There were no outstanding chances for the rest of the half but Fürth were lucky to not have a man sent off when Trinks fouled Sören Gonther before appearing to stamp on him whilst he was on the ground.

The second half started much the same as the first one, with Bernd Nehrig fouling Gießbelmann some 20 yards from goal. From the resulting free kick, Trinks scored an absolute peach of a goal into the top right corner of Tschauner’s net, putting the match to bed and taking away any interest for the neutrals, as they seemed content with their lead and sat back. St. Pauli didn’t have enough creativity to break down the Fürth defence although Ante Budimir did have a half decent chance not long after, but was flagged offside. In the 80th minute, Fürth’s new signing on loan from VfB Stuttgart, 22-year old Kiwi midfielder Marco Rojas, came on for his debut but didn’t get much of a chance to show off his talent. St. Pauli’s only half-decent performance came from Rzatkowski despite being booked in the 87th minute for a blatant foul borne out of frustration on Stephan Fürstner. Credit has to be given to the 2,000 travelling St. Pauli fans who were brilliant on the night and created a great atmosphere but unfortunately for them their team did not do them justice on the night.


Header courtesy of Sportfoto Zink

The following two tabs change content below.
Ryan currently lives in Northern Ireland but studies Mechanical Engineering in Scotland at Robert Gordon University. His complete obsession for all divisions of German football as a whole is only beaten by his love for 1899 Hoffenheim, he could possibly be the only Hoffenheim fan in the World for whom English is a first language, certainly the only one in the UK. He tries to make it to Germany for football at least once a year.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.