The kick off in the Allianz Arena is only a couple of hours away, here are some last-minute pointers before the match.
Jupp Heynckes told the reporters in yesterday’s press conference that he had been going to bed with The Old Lady and woken up with her. The Champions League has quickly turned into Bayern’s biggest priority after the Bavarians managed to secure the title early on in the season(Dortmund can only stop them in theory).
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge pinpointed Bayern’s ambitions in one simple sentence:
Our lust for this trophy has never been bigger.
Bastian Schweinsteiger added that Bayern’s in lost season’s Champions League final against Chelsea has given the Reds an extra bit of motivation.
Difficult task ahead
However, Bayern have their work cut out for them. Juventus are leading Serie A by 9 points with 8 matches still to go. Furthermore, the Bianconeri are alongside Dortmund the only team still unbeaten in this season’s Champions League.
Bayern have historically speaking often times have had a difficult time when meeting Italian opponents. The German record champions have only won 10 of their 31 encounters against Serie A teams, whilst drawing 7 and loosing a total of 14 matches.
Juventus has won three of the last six encounters between the two sides in the Champions League, whilst Bayern have won two. The last match between the sides ended in a convincing 4-1 away win for the Bavarians, however.
Vital numbers and stats
* Bayern score 3 goals on average in their home matches, whilst conceding 1.25 goals. Juventus find the net on average 1.75 times per match away from home, whilst conceding a total of 0.75 goals per away match.
* The Reds have won 75% of their home matches in the Champions League so far this season, whilst Juventus have taken away all three points in 50% of their away matches.
* Bayern have conceded four of their five goals at home in the second half, whilst Juventus have scored 5 of their 7 away goals in the second half.
* Bayern have so far this season conceded in all of their home matches in the Champions League.
* Juventus away matches rarely tend to be high scoring goal festivals. Only 50% of the Bianconeri’s machtes on the road have produced more than 2.5 goals.
* Gianluigi Buffon has kept a clean sheet in five of his eight Champions League matches. By comparison: Manuel Neuer has only kept one clean sheet.
* Thomas Müller has been Bayern’s most prolific goal scorer in this competition with four goals in total, but only one of them has come at the Allianz Arena.
Match stats, powered by Power Table Sports.
What are your predictions for tonight’s match? Leave a comment below!
Latest posts by Niklas Wildhagen (see all)
- Hertha BSC – The descent into chaos has begun - February 20, 2020
- Schalke vs. Hertha – Racism rears its ugly head, now what? - February 6, 2020
- Werder Bremen – Blindly Diving into the Abyss - January 29, 2020