Few players have been as unlucky with injuries as Hertha Berlin’s Adrian Ramos this season. More bizarre than unfortunate even, the Colombian has had the tendency to pick up rather unconventional injuries.
This time around it is a mosquito bite that is keeping the 25-year-old from attending his club’s training sessions, according to an article on kicker’s home page on Thursday. Earlier this season Ramos had an infection in his middle finger, a cyst had to be removed from his buttocks and his blood work showed levels of infection, again according to kicker.
The Colombian was amongst the cornerstones of last year’s success in the 2. Bundesliga, scoring 15 goals and providing 10 assists in 33 appearances for The Old Lady. This season however, things haven’t gone as smoothly. Three goals from eleven matches and two assists is all Ramos has contributed to his side’s effort so far. All of the three goals he scored were the first goal in those three matches, but Hertha failed to win all three matches. Whether Ramos is available for Saturday’s match against Bayer Leverkusen remains to be seen.
Ramos can take comfort in the fact that he isn’t the only footballer who has picked up an unconventional injury in his career. Far from it. Here are our three favorite weird injuries that have been caught by footballers:
1. Spanish goalie Santiago Canizares dropped a bottle of after shave on his foot, resulting in a severed tendon. The Valencia keeper had been called up to the 2002 World Cup and was a shoe in for the starting spot. His injury meant that he had to miss the entire tournament.
2. Norwegian international Svein Grøndalen crashed with a moose whilst jogging near his home, and caught an injury that forced him to withdraw from the Norway team for their upcoming game.
3. Rio Ferdinand picked up strained tendon in his knee, something that isn’t uncommon amongst footballers. However, the way Ferdinand injured himself is hopefully uncommon: The tall defender simply forgot to move during a lengthy Playstation session and was side lined due to his laziness.
Feel free to leave a comment a below.
Latest posts by Niklas Wildhagen (see all)
- Schalke vs. Hertha – Racism rears its ugly head, now what? - February 6, 2020
- Werder Bremen – Blindly Diving into the Abyss - January 29, 2020
- Military salutes and Instagram posts – How Turkey’s military campaign in Northern Syria found its way to the football pitch - January 29, 2020