VfL Bochum continue their excellent run, and are now unbeaten in the last 15 matches in the 2. Bundesliga.
Bochum were the favorites going into the Monday night match away against FSV Frankfurt. Bochum had the better start of the two sides, showed an excellent short passing game, while never neglecting to send their North-Korean striker Chong Tese on long runs. The side from the Ruhr valley took a firm grip around the game, and the only man who could stop them in the beginning of the match was Frankfurt keeper Patric Klandt.
Bochum fielded Mimoun Azaouagh, who went through the FSV youth system for seven years. The midfielder played his first match against his youth side. On the Frankfurt bench sat Azaouagh’s father, who is the kit manager for FSV.
Azaouagh senior had most likely ambivalent feelings about what happened in the 18th minute of the match. His son received the ball just inside the 16 yard box, aimed, and placed a crisp, unreachable, shot past Frankfurt keeper Klandt.
Match opening up
Bochum dominated the rest of the first half, and Frankfurt were only held in the game by their excellent keeper Patric Klandt. The second half saw Frankfurt surging forward, creating a number of half chances.
However, it was Bochum who created the best chances. The club from West-Germany was several times on the brink of scoring the second and deciding goal, but failed to do so on all their big chances in the second half
Bochum have now secured their third spot in the table, and are looking to attack second place Augsburg and front runners Hertha Berlin.
FSV Frankfurt: Klandt – Müller, Schlicke, Gledson, Dahlén – Heitmeier(Fillinger 62 min), Cinaz, S. Müller(Cidimar 76 min), Gjasula(Bouhaddouz 46 min), Wunderlich – Mölders
VfL Bochum: Luthe – Kopplin, Maltritz, Yahia, Ostrzolek – Vogt, Johansson, Dabrowski, Azaouagh(Frederico 72 min) – Saglik(Toski 90 min), Chong Tese(Aydin 71 min)
2. Bundesliga talking points:
* Fortuna Düsseldorf managed to secure a 3-0 victory against Erzgebirge Aue. This loss is unwelcome for Aue who are looking to get promoted. Ironically, the man most happy about this loss might be Aue’s mayor: He had promised his population 5.000 liters of free beer if Aue managed to get promoted.* Ingolstadt are continuing their fantastic run in the 2. Bundesliga with a 2-1 away victory against Energie Cottbus. Edson Buddle’s side are now 4 points clear of the relegation zone.
* USMNT goalie David Yelldell was no match for the strong Greuther Fürth attack, and saw his Duisburg side lose 2-1. Yelldell couldn’t do anything about the two goals, and was let down by his teammates.
Latest posts by Niklas Wildhagen (see all)
- Ishak Belfodil played five matches with a cruciate ligament rupture - October 15, 2019
- The Bundesliga golden goal table - October 14, 2019
- Mats Møller Dæhli’s resurgence under Jos Luhukay - October 11, 2019